? ??????????????????? ????Easy Install Instructions:???1. Copy the Code??2. Log in to your Blogger account
and go to "Manage Layout" from the Blogger Dashboard??3. Click on the "Edit HTML" tab.??4. Delete the code already in the "Edit Template" box and paste the new code in.??5. Click BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Monday, September 28, 2009

Can I Take a Nap?

Thinking, rather than doing, is probably one of the worst things a person can do when it comes to weight loss.

Why?

Well, quite simply, when you think about all of the things you have to do to create, maintain, and succeed at having a healthy lifestyle, you will inevitably end up positively exhausted.

For me, this list includes, but is certainly not limited to:

1. Not drinking alcohol. Ever. (It tends to make me think I have a free pass to eat things from boxes and foil packets and plastic bags.)

2. Weighing, measuring, and recording every single bite of every single thing I eat. Or making a reasonable estimate of it if I've eaten out.

3. Cooking every day, usually twice a day.

4. Keeping up with the dishes that cooking twice daily entails.

5. Waking up before sunrise if I hope to get my jogging in before work.

6. Walking to work instead of taking the bus, even if the weather is crap.

7. Recording every single bite of every single thing I eat... most likely for the rest of my life. Maintenance, they say, is even harder than loss.

8. Being in bed between 9-10 P.M. six nights a week.

9. Avoiding sodium like the plague.

10. Feeling tremendous guilt when I fail to do any of the above.


Can I take a nap, now?

1 comments:

Ruby N. Esque said...

Debu-chan...
First of all, I just looked at your recent pictures and you look fan-f*cking-tastic. That being said, I know that list will continue to haunt you even if you are down to 100lbs.

I know I have unrealistic fantasies like, "Eventually all of this portion-ing and counting will become so secondhand I won't even have to count anymore and I will magically lose weight/stay skinny forever."

And I just have to say I HATE DISHES. HATE THEM. So much that I seriously have to consider whether or not I want to have any social gathering at my house involving food because I don't want the dishes (I am not kidding). It's to the point of dysfunction, the obsession I have over dishes/empty sink.

I can totally sympathize with the cooking/dishes conundrum. If I want to eat well, I will have to cook/compose something. If I am watching what I eat and not grazing, but the time I am motivated to compose something I am starving. This means while I'm rooting in the refrigerator/closet for components, I have to stare at and possibly even touch and move something that is ready to eat and most likely much less healthy for me to eat. BUT I AM HUNGRY NOW!

Even if I resist the urge to have the naughtiness instead of the healthiness, when I'm putting together the healthiness I think, "ugh I am so hungry I should make 2 (or 3, or 7)." Invariably I end up with too much stuff and I likely end up eating the extra stuff, so do I really make out better? Huh? DO I?!

I think one of the most difficult things is how pervasive these thoughts and obsessions and guilts can become. For me they are instant the second I open a menu or a refrigerator door or have to look at a waiter/waitress. If I order regular soda, when they walk away I think, "FAIL" and hate my meal for not taking the diet route. If I order diet, when they walk away I think, "Ugh, you rarely go out to eat. What's the harm with drinking regular soda just this once (With this gyro)??" The cycle is vicious.

Which is probably why I continue to have my magical fantasies. I'll keep riding my unicorn up and down the all-you-can-eat-buffet (riding through the Mt. Dew sprinklers) and never gain a pound!

<3 Ruby.